Software update for T-Mobile G2: 1.22.531.8 (manual installation guide)
T-Mobile released today a new OTA update for G2, and you can manually install it right now by following the steps that i will present to you.
Before updating your T-Mobile G2, check the current built number in Settings > About phone > Build number to be sure you have the correct version, which is 1.19.531.1. This OTA update is safe to download because uses the same normal update file from Google.
After you check the 1.19.531.1 build number, you can start following the next steps to update T-Mobile G2 to 1.22.531.8:
“1. Download the latest Android 2.2 firmware from Google: e4aaacea73af.OTA_Vision_TMUS_1.22.531.8-184.108.40.2061.1_release_signed.zip
2. Rename the file to update.zip and place it on your SD card (File update.zip should just be in /sdcard and not any directory or folder).
3. Power off your phone then restart it while holding VOLUME UP and the TRACKPAD button and then hit POWER.
4. Wait for the fastboot screen to load (screen with skating Androids). Use the VOLUME keys to navigate the menu to BOOTLOADER and then RECOVERY. Selections are made by pressing POWER.
5. When you see the “/!” symbol, press the VOLUME UP and POWER button at the same time to display the options. You should be presented with a menu and one of the options should be “Apply sdcard:update.zip”.
6. Use the VOLUME DOWN to navigate to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and select it by pressing POWER.
7. Wait 5-10 minutes for the update to install and then reboot your phone when prompted.“
The entire T-Mobile G2 update will last about 10 minutes and you shouldn’t experience any problems, but anyway, let us know how it works by leaving a comment.